Wednesday 22 August 2012

WOYWW 168 - New Desk Please!

Hello Peeps

It is Wednesday which means some of us Bloggers take part in the Biggest Weekly Blog Hop in the World!! (probably).  You know the one....take a picture of your desk, floor, table, chair and post it on your blog, link it with the Lushious Julia and take a dash around the Globe!

Here is my lovely "new" desk which Hubby and I picked up about 10 days ago.  We went to an auction at which we used to be regulars "just for a peek" and before I knew it I was bidding for an old fashioned pine table (something I have always wanted for my kitchen, no chance unless I have an extension on the house as I have a long thin galley kitchen!) Why not have it for my room? I thought.  No worries!!  However, the first worry was how on earth we get a 72" table into a small hatchback?  We did, upside down and back door open all the way home!!  Phew!

So having sanded the table to get rid of the pen, ink, paint and general detritus I then waxed, polished, waxed and polished again and we got it upstairs - through the window - we must have looked hilarious to onlookers, and in to my room.  As I mentioned, it is 72" long, the old one being only 48"!! and it is about 12" deeper than the old one.  "It will fit - no problem"!!  Well it did after a bit of jiggery pokery!
Love my new table as I now have more room to just "put" things on like the basket of fat quarters which are just behind the lamp on the top picture and I can still put my cutting mat on and cut fabric WITHOUT having to put the machine on the floor.
In this basket is some 200+ triangle squares which will form the outer border of my Challenge quilt which I showed you the beginning of a short while ago.
And here are some of the blocks.  Only problem is I have since found out that the Challenge quilts are only to be 12" square!!  Oops!!  I feel pretty silly really, especially when you consider I am on the Committee.  However, someone else on the Committee thought it was "any size" though she hasn't actually started hers yet!  Never mind ey!  I will at least have a lovely quilt, and another entry into our Festival next year.  I even bought the backing fabric for it at the NEC Festival of Quilts last week so was well pleased.

Well, enough from me.  Thanks for letting me chat about my new table and quilt WIP.  Now, click HERE where you will be transported by Magic Quilt to the lovely Julia and pop over to see some other blogs who will show you what they are currently working on!

Hugs

Hettie

28 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Nice table, missus - may it provide much happy working space for you!! Your quilt fabric is looking fab too, keep us posted as you progress with it :)
Hugs, LLJ #71 xx

Annie said...

Oh wow. Thats a wonderful new addition to your room.
Hugs,
A x #72

Helen said...

Great table, and quite a story getting it in situ!!! Good luck with the quilt. Helen 19

Victoria said...

Smashing table! Well, don't actually smash it please. May you spend many happy hours creating upon its carefully prepared surfaces!! If you weren't so far from me, I would so be gatecrashing and you could teach me how to quilt. :) Happy WOYWW! Victoria no.87

lisa said...

Hi Sam. Lovely to be back with you, apart from the weather & the scenery and the food and......!!!! OH well, at last I have me blogging mates to keep me cheerful!!
Love your new table, well done you getting it in the car. It must be fab to have so much lovely space to play with. you certainly look as though you are putting it to good use. Love all the colours of the fabric you're playing with.
Oh btw, I saw your lovely piccy on LLJ's blog while hopping around. Love those shoes, you are definitely a lady of style!!! Great that you could meet up too.
Will be back soon.
Hugs Lisax

Sarn said...

Happy quilting;
Happy WOYWW;
Happy Hump Day

Nice table you have there!

Hugs, Sandra Take a peek at MY DESK here

Bridget Larsen said...

Looks like a great desk to me, you've done well and renovated it with love
Bridget #7

Trish Latimer said...

Fab table, it must be lovely to have more space!!! That quilt looks like soooo much work....I wouldn't have the patience! Trish #90

jude said...

WOW ...Fab desk just think how much clutter you can fill it with..lol Happy quilting have fab wednesday
hugs judex 57

Karen McAlpine said...

Great new table...and so much room to work!!!
Karen 107

Minxy said...

Oh what I wouldn't give for a bigger desk, but then i'd also need a bigger room lol.. enjoy your extra crafty space!
Happy WOYWW
Hugz Minxy #78

J said...

Great table, would loved to have seen you pushing it through the window!!
My husband always says I forget our car says Volvo on the front not Scania!!
Jan S 109

ElizabethR said...

Happy new desk, can't wait to see your finished quilt. Hugs from not raining North Wales lol Elizabeth xxx

G Peplow said...

Oh Sam, That's a very happy table, what a lovely find and well done for getting it home and in the room LOL
Shame your quilt's a bit big for a 12" challenge LOL But Woah! I'm impressed, I can't sew for toffee so I'm actually in awe, hugs Gay xxx

Kim said...

Gratz on the new table!!!! You can never have too much space, I always say (Did you keep the other one as a side-table?? They come in very handy! LOL!) I can't wait to see your finished quilt!

Anonymous said...

Lovely new desk Hettie and what's a few extra inches heh? All the better for keeping stuff on :)

That's a gorgeous sewing machine too. I had one for my birthday last month but it's still in its box, just too frightened to get started with it but l'm sure l will when l get a mo!

Happy WOYWW xx

DottyA Cards & Things said...

Oh My a 6-ft table must be wornderful for sure!!!! It may take some getting use to but I'm sure you'll manage!!!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice commnet on my blog too!!

Anonymous said...

Bet there was a lot of cursing getting that desk upstairs!! Looks great though, much more space for you to make a mess in!! I don't have the patience to quilt, that and I can't sew!!

Hugs
Brenda 5

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - congratulations on your new workdesk, it looks great! I work on an old kitchen table, and it's lovely to have so much room, though somehow it always seems to fill up pretty quickly! At least I don't have a sewing machine to deal with... happy WOYWW!
Alison x
#101

fairy thoughts said...

hi to the new table .... have you named her yet, must be female as she has to be very versatile and cope with lots of things at one time LOL
Enjoy working on her
janet#59

Queenie Jeannie said...

Enjoy your new desk!!!! Having space is so necessary!

Jeannie #62

Unknown said...

Everything is looking good.
Enjoy.
carol

Redanne said...

Oh Hettie, you know what more room means? Buy more stuff to fill it up and then need even more space! It is looking good though. Thanks so much for your visit. Anne x #32

Tertia said...

Lovely table! congrats on finding it and getting it home.
Hope you have many creative hours working at it.
Happy belated WOYWW!
Tertia #52

karen said...

That is great that you have the table you always wanted!! And why not as a craft table, it will get plenty of use and be well loved!
I look forward to seeing the finished quilt!
xoxo
Karen

Darnell said...

That's right, never mind! It'll be a lovely quilt!

And look at you owning a brand new table that took a bit of doing to purchase, get home, get spruced up, and get in the room! Phew, is right!!

Enjoy and have a wonderful week! Darnell #136

Julia Dunnit said...

Ah, but bigger than a 12" quilt will be so much more useful and it's already looking marvellous! Love the table, and your tenacity at delivery, cleaning and installing...it looks lovely.

okienurse said...

very nice work table. Don't you love the extra width! Very organized with all those bits and pieces in the baskets. Sorry I am so late getting around but it is what it is with family, crafts, etc. time can sometimes become a premium! Have a great week and thanks for sharing. Vickie #68