Wednesday 28 January 2015

Winter Birthdays....

Hello There

Brrrrr!  I have just come back in from Dancing where we held a "bit of a do for Rabbie".  In other words, some nibbles, some Robbie Burns poetry, a Highland Fling and a toast to the Birthday Boy.  Coming home it was mighty cold with some sleet which got to be more snow than sleet by the time I got home!!!  Wrap up warm and that advice goes to my blogging friends across the pond.  I can hardly believe what New England is going through only a few months after our visit there.  

Right then onto tonight's post.  

Last week I had a flurry of birthdays, including 3 on Friday alone!  So I decided to make some wintery birthday cards, one of which was for a Playground friend who had kindly let me borrow her MB Snowflake die after I was drooling over my laptop at her cards.  So here is my card...


Isn't that die just wonderful?  And typical of MB dies, it cuts so well too.  So how did I make  it?  I took a piece of white cardstock (some of them from the Snippets drawer) and inked it with Broken China, Faded Jeans, Tumbled Glass and Shaded Lilac (NBUS) DIs.  Then I used my favourite technique of spritz n flick by spraying some water into my hand and flicking over the card, leave it a few seconds then dab the excess water.  Once this was dry I then took a TH snowflake stamp, versamark and my new favourite WOW embossing powder and randomly stamped some snowflakes on the card.

Then out with the NBUS MB Happy Birthday die and cut this out then I used the visiting MB Snowflake die.  Unfortunately one of them got a little scuff when I peeled the tape off.  Never mind...out came the PB Smile die and a Snippet of blue metallic and I covered the blemish.  I liked the idea so much I decided to use it on all of them!

Last job was to layer up the two layers onto the card and hey presto cards were completed.  I sent a photo of the first one to Hubster who was in work and his reply was "its a bit Frozen"!  Typical man ey!

I hope you like it.  Expect to see some similar ones now for Christmas any time soon!  This die has now been pushed up the Wish List now I have used it.  Thanks Matey for letting me borrow it.  

Off to the Playground as some of these elements were made from Snippets.  I hope there is plenty of hot chocolate and plenty of room in front of the fire!

Hettie

16 comments:

Carol L said...

This is GORGEOUS! I've only used my snowflake die once, and this has prompted me to bring it out and use it more often! I love the metallic blue behind the gorgeous background you created! NJ!

Brenda said...

OMGosh, I am loving this card!!! I thought that paper with the beautiful snowflake on it was designer paper, lol. You did an amazing job with it, I love the snowflakes and the colors you used. I also love the birthday die, I just saw it somewhere and fell in love with it when I saw just the die, and now I love it more since I've seen it used. That snowflake, that I am totally in love with! I will have to be on the look out for it! I guess this card would work for the grandkids that love the movie Frozen then if hubby thinks it's a bit frozen. lol I seriously love it! Hugs, Brenda

Bonnie said...

This is awesome, Sam! I love this snowflake and it's on my list too! Love that Happy Birthday die too! Perfect card for a Winter birthday!

Sue said...

Fab card Sam love this snowflake! huggles Sue xx

Karen Petitt said...

Absolutely stunning! Love the snowflake die, the border die and the word die! Just wish they were cheaper in the UK lol! Good to hear you had a nice time with your dancing buddies. Not seen the Frozen movie but I love your card because of my snowflake thing!
I don't have that many slim ones but if I ever use a die that you would like to borrow just let me know and I'll pop it in the post - that is a fabulous idea and it's a shame that no-one has thought of doing it and set up a blog about it - so we could swap privately! Take care in the chill Karen xx

Mrs A. said...

Very pwetty. I put the ducks in front of the fire cos they said their bums were frozen so you'll have to squeeze in on the end. Hugs Mrs A.

Sarn said...

This is an absolute stunner Sam. FABULOUS use of that wonderful snowflake die for a winter birthday.

I also thought the front paper was a designer sheet . . . you did a super job of it.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Di said...

Absolutely fabulous Sam!! I also thought the paper was DP and not hand made - just perfect with that beautiful die too!

Hugs

Di xx

Lunch Lady Jan said...

OMG, that is gorgeous! Is that was a Christmas card, I'd buy loads :-)
Hugs, LLJ xxxx

Kim said...

Yes. This is stunning! Now I jeed tharmt die! Lol

Anonymous said...

This is such a gorgeous birthday card and a design that would also work for Christmas cards. Did I utter the words Christmas cards .... I don't want to go there, not quite yet!!!
Beautiful card.
Wishes
Lynne

MaryH said...

This is just aptly fitting with the weather that so many parts of the world are enduring. Yep, areas of New England got hammered pretty badly. From what I'm reading on Euro blogs, there's some brutal weather there as well. My hat's off to you for venturing out as you did, and thankful you arrived home safely. Love this wonderful snowflake cutout in the icy blues. The embossed white snowflakes & water splats enhanced it to the max! Loving that top die treatment too. TFS & Happy wkend. Hugs

Jenny L said...

Hi Sam,
a very appropriate card for this weather we are having.
Great designing as usual.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

laurie said...

What a beautiful card, I just love that die!

Words and Pictures said...

Ooh, super frosty card - the snowflake die really is magical!
Alison xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Love what you did with the visiting die! And that die is fabulous. This is the most perfect winter birthday card ever!!! I feel a chill coming off it. I'm going to bundle up now.