Tuesday 5 June 2012

CC2C - Upcycle or Recycle?

Hello Peeps

How are you all on this damp Bank Holiday?  You can always tell a Bank Holiday in the UK - it is the one day you can almost guarantee it to rain!  Never mind, I don't think anything could dampen the spirits of those people in London today or the whole weekend.  Next time I am going - for sure!

Well, yesterday and today whilst things have been busy in London, I have been stuck (such a hardship I know) in my Craft Room and today's showing is what I have made.  Over at the Lovely Linda's we have been asked to use packaging and over at Simon Says Stamp and Show the Challenge is to show some texture so woopee! I can combine the both in this lickle project.

Here it is to begin with showing some of the items I was about to use in this project....

(Can anyone tell me what the difference is between "Recycle" and "Upcycle" please?)

Can you believe I had to drink the diet Coke in order to have a second can?  Such sacrifices I have made for the sake of art!  Here is the finished article....

The base is from a box in which some supplies came in.  
Close up of the inked and embossed flowers and flourishes.  All made from coke cans, die packaging, Prima and Anna Griffin packaging.  
All the buttons are from a tin which a friend of mine rescued from her Aunt's house when she died.
The fluffy fibres were from the same place as the box.  Every time you order from that company you have some fibres in the box which usually match the papers you have bought.  The little clip came off the scarf I bought from my favourite shop only last week.
Even the lace was given to me when I went on a retreat in Cornwall some 3 years ago
More labels from my favourite shop and some splats from Distress Stains.  The clip and Giggle tag are only two of the three bought embellishments on this layout. 
These flowers were made using Cuttlebug dies and the sleeves you get when you buy take out coffee.


And the star of the layout - Sputnik, who started out being found in a skip in Cardiff herself.  So all in all, a "Rubbish" layout!

Hope you like and please leave me a comment so I know you have been.  

I also want to say Hi to my latest follower.  Thank you for following me.

Hugs

Hettie

Edit - Woo Hoo!  Teacher over at the Playground has told me to link this to the Snippets Challenge because it is technically Snippets albeit from the Recycle Bin!!  Why don't you use up your Snippets and join us in the Playground, though most of us are on the Carousel in this yukky weather as at least there is a roof on there for us to shelter under!  

20 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, what a stunner! Love the flower especially, but the whole thing is just gorgeous.

Jo said...

Wow, this is just fantastic!Fab photo and love how you made your embellies, so much texture and detail, just gorgeous!
Hugs Jo x

catherine said...

This is such a beautiful page and very creative
x catherine

Jane Mort said...

This is fantastic ... especially Sputnik!!

Kate Yetter said...

This a drop dead gorgeous flower!! You rocked this layout girl.

Sarn said...

WOW . . . sucha lot of detail Sam. Fab layout and embellishments etc. Lots of work and a great result xxx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Very gorgeous Hetty and amazing texture! Love love love your flower...so cool!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Wow what a fabulous way to recycle, and so much yummy texture. Love your flower and use of the coke can, very clever. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

Tammy said...

I wanted to come right over and see what you created with recycled stuff. Your page is gorgeous! I love the colors you used on the can. Fabulous job! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Sam - just scrolling down from WOYWW and spotted your layout - You definitely up cycled in my opinion! You made rubbish beautiful!

Patricia said...

This is absolutely stunning!!! Love to hear were all your junk originated!!!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Your layout is fantastic! I love the way you have combined so mamy recycled elements and I just love the story about Sputnik.

A truly great post!

kayh5106 said...

Wonderful - love your clever use of all your recycled elements! Gorgeous design & colours as well!

Di said...

Wonderful Sam - so much recycling and so beautiful done! Di xx (Still hunting)

Audrey Harris said...

Love the flowers made from coke cans, one for me to try!
Thanks
Audrey x

Sarah said...

a really wonderful piece - love the colours you have chosen! The layered flower is a beauty and the cardboard the perfect frame. Gorgeous work! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show! Sarah.

Sally H said...

Gorgeous! I LOVE those flowers! Don't sit on the swing unless you have a towel to dry it off with!

MaryH said...

Oh, fantastic use of recycled stuff. Love what you did with the cans & 'schtuff'. A friend uses cans like this too; in addition, she buys the a/conditioning metal 'tape' used by the installers, and uses it with the TH die tattered flowers using alcoholo inks. I should get you girls together. Can't imagine the extent of your creativity! This is a wonderful project. TFS.

Amanda said...

Another amazing creation, truly stunning. Great use of cans too. Hugs, Amanda x

karen said...

Wow Sam, this layout is amazing! And all recycled items?!?! I just love the coke tim flowers and also the flowers made from the coffee cup sleeve! I may have to "borrow" the coffee sleeve idea for my Project Life!
xoxo Karen