Is it me or does it seem rather "Autumney" today? We now have lovely warm sunshine outside, but I notice that we now have blackberries and some of the leaves are changing and it just feels like Autumn. No problem as it is my favourite season anyhoo.
Right then, onto today's post.
Last year whilst on a Playground outing at a Craft Show, I was looking at some goodies on a stall when I overheard a conversation that went like this...
"So then Mavis, are you going to buy that die? It is so you and I know you will do a great job of it".
"Well Agnes. Whenever I buy a die or stamp, I try to think of three ways in which I might use it. If I can't I don't buy it. I am just thinking as so far I only have two."
I turned and nodded my approval on Mavis' method of thinking and since I have tried to do the same...mostly.
Well the other day I was rummaging through my drawers looking for something or other and I happened upon this stamp Elegant Butterfly by Stampington and Company which was a kinda impulse purchase...it was sitting on a table just over from where I was working at a scrapbooking retreat...however, I don't very often use it as it does not really lend itself to being played with. Or so I thought. I then thought about Mavis' conversation and set about finding three alternative ways to use it.
So here is Option 1...
I stamped it as it was onto white cardstock with Archival ink in Cobalt. Once it had dried I scored around the edge of the cut piece and then carefully with my sharp knife, cut around the butterfly and then mounted it onto a piece of navy cardstock. I then scored around a square card and mounted the navy onto the card. Hey presto one method.
For this option I stamped the image as above then sliced horizontally at 1/2 cm (or thereabouts), making sure that you keep each slice in the right order, then cutting horizontally at 1" sections, starting the second row at 1/2", again keeping each piece lined up so they don't get mixed. (Yes I know I changed increments between cms and inches, but the size I cut the image wasn't divisible in inches!) After inking around each piece using Pumice Stone DI I then attached each piece to a navy background. I don't worry about the pieces not being exactly straight as I live in a 16th Century cottage and so have not got one straight wall or corner! That is MY excuse and it is MY card!!
I inked the stamp with versamark and white WOW embossing powder which I heated. I then inked the background with Peacock Feathers and Faded Jeans DIs. I spritzed and flicked and distressed the edges. Once it was dry I mounted it on white card and then navy before mounting this onto some woodgrain card (NBUS and very old).
And now for Option 4...
Here I tried the chalkboard effect. Not something I have ever had good results with before but this one kinda turned out how I like it. I used a really old, not very good white ink pad to stamp the stamp. Then I added WOW white embossing powder and heated. I then took the same white ink pad and dipped the corner of a cloth in it, but not too much, and then gently rubbed around the image to make it look like an old board. I then drew around the edge with lines and kisses and mounted it onto a tan card (handmade). I scorred the card top and bottom, added some TH tissue tape, some Maya Arts string and a button. This is currently winging its way to a special friend.
Well, I hope you like my take on Mavis' idea. I cannot actually remember what their names were, only the gist of the conversation, but I am so glad I had overheard it. I shall have a rummage and try doing this with some other underused stamps. I hope this post inspires you to try the same too.
I am going to take these cards down to the Snippets Playground as they do contain some Snippets. I am also going to take it down to my friend Mrs A's Butterfly Challenge as it contains Summer Butterflies.
Thanks for calling by. Don't forget tomorrow I will be joining in the Blog Hop and so I will be pleased if you call by then.