Tuesday 21 June 2011

Grungy Monday 12 - A New Die/Stamp!!

Evening Crafters.

Would you believe that I actually completed Grungy Monday 12 on Grungy Monday!!  Woo Hoo!!  It did mean that my intended early night went by the by but hey - a girl's gotta suffer for her art ey!

For those of you who don't know what I am on about where have you been?  The lovely Linda runs a wonderful challenge every Monday  called..... have you guessed it yet...... Grungy Monday.  Each week we are sent around the blogosphere somewhere where we see a technique which may be new or maybe done in a way we haven't seen before and we are challenged to come up with our own little adaptation of what we have seen.

This week we were sent HERE to the One and Only Tim Holtz blog back in 2008.  I then pondered for a little while (I had been able to have a peek at lunchtime so I could think a little in the afternoon in between doing my work!) and wanted to somehow incorporate my lovely new die of the Rain Man which my lovely Buddy had bought me for my birthday.  How she knew I wanted him I will never know!!  (Large hints I tell you!!)

So I made a funky foam die out of the die and the beauty of making your own stamps is that it does not matter which way you stamp finished stamp so if you want to you can flip him and have his brolly the other way - which I did as I wanted to make my little corner pocket on the left side of my tag!


Firstly, I made a tag using my lovely tag die and then covered it with K&Co paper which came from one of the matting pads - they fit lovely and you don't have to use a 12x12 page. I stamped the image with clear embossing ink and then sprinkled the clear embossing powder over the top, heated with my heat gun and then let it cool.  Using a tan paint and a piece of cut'n'dry I painted over the top of the whole tag including the embossed image.  Using a piece of kitchen roll and my mini mister I wiped over the top of the tag to reveal the clear embossed image of my man.

I made a little corner pocket and attached it to the bottom left hand corner, die cut the smallest flower twice using the Tattered Florals die, inked with Vintage Photo DI, ribbled a piece of the patterned paper and attached to the pocket with Glossy Accents finishing with a small button in the middle of the flower.

I then made a small tag and covered with more paper.  I stamped the sentiment on one side and wrote on the back "Summer 2011!" as I feel alot like the Rain Man this summer!!  I also ran some paper strip through my Dymo (this is not as easy as it looks through my Dymo as it is not as posh at Tim's!) printing "Singing in the Rain".  A little grungepaper finding to hold the paper strip on using a brad, ribbon, hanging attachment, word stick, doodling, distressing edges and hey presto one tag finished to go with my lovely collection. This is one tag I have really enjoyed.  Thanks Linda!

Don't forget that you can go to Tim's blog by clicking HERE to keep yourself up to date with what the man is up to!

Thanks for looking and please leave me a comment as they are very much appreciated.

See you soon.

Hettie

Ingredients:-  Ranger- DI Vintage Photo, Walnut stain; Glossy Accents; Tag die; Rain man die; Tattered Florals die; Word stick; Chain attachment, Pin: Paper K&Co, DCWV; Ribbon; Tan paint.


13 comments:

Jennie Atkinson said...

What a great tag Sam - and what a great idea to make your own stamp! I have been searching through my stamps trying to find something appropriate and everything is far too detailed for this technique. So I hope you don't mind but I might just copy your idea and use a die cut stamp - I promise to acknowledge your wonderful inspiration!

StampDancer said...

You did a great job on this tag. I love the Brolly (Umbrella) man! I've cut a few foam stamps from my dies, but not him yet. Love your tip about switching his "point of view".

craftytrog said...

Brilliant tag! Umbrella man looks fab Sam!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous tag and the umbrella man looks fab!

Kim said...

Very cool tag! That was a great idea to make the reversable stamp. The umbrella man fits over here too..more rain...for the next 4 days!! Ugh! Gettin sorta afraid for what winter may be like!

Suzanne Bouchard said...

WOW! I like the umbrella man in patterned paper! Good looking tag!

france papillon said...

aren't those home made foam stamp the max? love it too! love how the softness of your tag get spiced up by the metal embellishements!

Sarah said...

Great tag full of creativity and love the colours!

Unknown said...

I love this great showing of the technique ;0)

love Dawn xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Really a wonderful tag with fantastic details.

Linda Ledbetter said...

Hettie, I LOVE that you used the Umbrella Man die to create your stamp-- it's just perfect for this technique, and the entire tag is wonderful! The tiny pocket in the corner is darling!

The Craft Cupboard Under the Stairs said...

Sam - You really hit it out of the park with this tag. I really love it. Your details are just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Great idea to use the die cut your stamp. Love the little tag and button flower. Great details.