Tuesday 30 September 2014

Thank You from the bottom of my heart...

Hello

This year marks a very important time in the world's history and at the Tower of London there are some fabulous poppies that have been commissioned to both commemorate the 100 years since the start of the First World War and raise money for our wounded soldiers of modern times.  To play a part in this commemmoration, and to celebrate what would have been my dear FIL's 100th year, as well as our 25th Anniversary, I bought one for Hubby.


(Photos courtesy of Hels Sheridan)

Well, I wanted to let Mr Hettie know I had bought one but couldn't figure a way of telling him.  I have also planned a trip to London for which he does not, as yet, know the purpose.  It is to go and see this for ourselves.  So this is what I have done...

I love how the paint has slightly bubbled on the top of the right one.  It gives great texture.
After asking a few close friends if they had any poppy dies or stamps I went on a certain well known auction site and bought the Sheena Douglass Poppies.  Paint fusion to the rescue.  No idea where I bought the hearts from, possibly from a little Playground outing last year with Miss Di and Scrappy Mo!  Well, this makes a nice change from something silver!

The number on the tag is the number of our poppy.  When the poppy arrives with us I suspect it will be placed on FIL's grave.  He was too young for the First World War but he was involved in the Second World War.

Thanks for calling by.  

Lest we forget.
 
Hettie




20 comments:

Sarn said...

Happy Anniversary Honey! Fabulous commemoration piece. xxx

G Peplow said...

What a lovely way to commemorate all these events! Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby, love your heart, beautiful. Hope you have a wonderful time in the city :D x

Belinda Basson said...

What a lovely gesture. Hope you celebrate in style.

Kim said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! Your poppies are beautiful, and he is going to be trilled with the visit!

Sunshine Girl said...

Its lovely - enjoy your trip!

Jo said...

Beautiful....and a fab way to celebrate your anniversary.....huge congratulations!
hugs Jo x

LesleyG said...

What a fabulous thoughtful gift. I went to the Tower a little while ago...it's an awesome display...enjoy xxx

jojo79 said...

This is beautiful

Karen Petitt said...

Happy Anniversary Mr & Mrs Hettie! Huni what you have done is so special and you have made me eyes water - an absolutely fabulous creation, I bet he will love it! Karen x

Kathleen said...

Gosh I wish you'd have asked me, I have loads of Poppy stamps.
Gorgeous creation and what a lovely idea to surprise your Hubby.
Huge congratulations on your 25th Anniversary, I surprised my Hubby with a trip to South Africa to see his Best Man then this year for our 45 Anniversary, we were baby sitting, what a difference 20 years makes lol.

Kath x

Jean said...

A very happy anniversary to you and your hubby, I hope your day is wonderful and leaves you with more happy memories.
Your poppy heart is beautiful, a lovely way to commemorate your special day.
Jean x

Helen said...

That is beautiful - I have been to see "my" poppy several times now - looks like you got your order in just in time, judging by the number! (Mine is 419) It is a truly moving sight, and I will go again in November (if not before) to see it when they are all installed.

Mrs A. said...

Happy Anniversary. Your poppy is delightful. Hugs Mrs A.

Sue said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! what a fabulous way to celebrate it lots and lots of huggles Sue xxx

Unknown said...

Awe, Hettie, I had no idea those poppies were for sale, what a great way to commemorate a terrible time in history.

Unknown said...

I was so excited thinking I could buy one of those poppies, I started to order one, only to find that they wanted £15.99 to send it to me in Ireland, so sadly I had to abandon the idea, as funds wouldn't allow.

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Hettie, you will love the sight of those Poppies at the Tower. We went to see it on saturday, its an amazing, and very moving, sight. Love the heart tag, gorgeous way to give the gift. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz xxx

Jenny L said...

Hi Sam,
firstly Happy Anniversary for yesterday.
I do hope you had a wonderful day.
I too didn't know that you could actually buy those poppies, either.
What a wonderful way to remember all those that have fallen in wars.
Love that photo of the poppies supplied by Hels.
Your heart shaped tag is superb.
Love your super stamping and fab design.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Debs Willis said...

I think this is a wonderful thing to do. Your poppy heart turned out beautifully, and I like the idea of the number tag to show which one is yours.
Bet your trip to London will be wonderful, and probably emotional. We went to a Battle Proms in Aug, they had a spitfire fly by and lots of service families there, cried like a baby!
Debs x

Di said...

Aha Sam - no wonder I didn't know the full story. I totally missed this post - we were right in the midst of clearing the way for workmen and I wasn't blogging as much I suspect. Lovely idea indeed. And a beautiful way to let Simon know :)

Hugs, Di xx