Sunday 24 April 2011

Grungy Monday 4 - Spring Blossom or Kung Fu Panda!

Good Afternoon Crafters and a Happy Easter to you All!

What a gloriously beautiful day it is today.  I am a little early blogging today as Hubby has a little job for me this afternoon - painting his bee hives which he bought yesterday.  It appears that he is needing to get another bee hive up and ready quickly as there is a chance that half of his current hive might be house hunting pretty soon!  I came to a deal with him that if he cuts the grass I would paint the hive as I cannot do too much with my knee at the moment!!

I have joined in once again with the Grungy Monday albeit a little late!  This week we were to watch THIS video which is from last year's 12 Tags of Christmas by TIM HOLTZ using texture fades and distress.  I am loving these challenges and loving the work which other participants have undertaken - inspiring!
The title has come about as I was trying to create a Spring Blossom tree reminiscent of some of the wonderful ones we saw yesterday on our little excursion through the countryside of Gloucestershire.  However, as I was laying the flowers out to see how I would put them Hubby came in and said it reminded him of Kung Fu Panda where they were discussing the Apricot Blossom.  I was not sure whether to be offended or flattered!!  (He did get a playful thwack tho!! LOL!!)
I stamped my flourish stamp (Rusty hinge DI) onto the embossing folder after first cutting the folder, as Tim does on his video, so I could feed my tag through, then ran the folder through my faithful Big Shot (it ain't broke so I am not replacing it!), then inked the tree with some DI (Forest moss), before embossing it with clear embossing powder.  I then inked the background of the tag with some DI (Peeled paint, Rusty hinge, Mustard seed, Pumice Stone) and then distressed the edge  of the tag with Walnut stain. 
I stamped the mini birds, with Vintage photo, the sentiment and grass with Forest moss.  I then attached the flowers which were from a set of Cosmo Cricket having first used some brads which I have had for eons and cannot remember what make they are, with foam dots.  A little bit of fluff and ribbon for the top and a brad through a flower and hey presto another little tag for my "wall" of tags. 

 Incidentally, it is not a whole wall of tags that I am attempting to create, rather two wooden pieces that go down the length of the room (they have a proper name but I cannot for the life of me think what it is but they support the roof!) which I covered with cork floor tiles so that I could pin things to them as a notice board type thing.  I have started at one end of my room with my tags made for this challenge and also some which I have made for previous tags. Maybe I will show you when I have covered the "board", say, half way!!

Thanks for looking and don't forget to leave me a note to let me know you have been.  I will come and have a look at the other challenges later today when the sun has gone in and the hives are painted. 

Now then, where is my chocolate?  Not had any for 46 days and cannot wait another moment!  LOL!!

Happy Easter!

Hettie

8 comments:

lisa said...

Hi Sam
Your tag is just fantastic. It is so topical with all the gorgeous blossom that is about at the minute. I'm with you on it being much earlier this year and the trees coming into leaf is too don't you think. I love the texture on your tree too.
Hope you got the hives painted. What a team you make by the sounds of it.
I have my tags hung up over my window, there is a pic somewhere on my blog. If you're interested I'll give you the link.
Enjoy your choccy and Happy Easter.
Hugs Lisax

Anonymous said...

Your blossoms are the prettiest little things. It's so amazing that they can make that gnarly tree look so lovely. Hope y9ur knee heals soon.

fairy thoughts said...

this is really gorgeous, love all the elemets, the birds, the flowers etc etc. AND i have just had my first chocolate for 46 days as well, enjoy it yum yum 'lindor'
janet.

Jane said...

Your tag is beautiful. I love the way you dressed up that twisty tree of Tim's. It opens up many possibilities in my mind for future cards. Great way to use the technique.

Capescrapper said...

Oh my gosh, isn't is funny that great minds think alike with this bare tree. I did almost the same type of tag. I love the flowers you chose to add, and the spring feeling it emotes.

rach said...

Love that tag, it's such a good use of the cosmo cricket flowers. Love the Wall of Tags idea, can't wait to see it.

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

We were in the hills and pathways of Herefordshire and Worcestershire and the blossom there was glorious. Your card really reflects its beauty.

okienurse said...

Great mind work alike! :-) I love this style tag and here is proof! http://okienurse.blogspot.com/2011/03/tags-class.html Thanks for sharing.