Monday 17 December 2012

The Funkie Junkie - Holly and Ivy - Tag 12

Hello Friends I am back again!

Today I have finished the last of Funkie Junkie's 12 Tags of Christmas.  I can hardly believe that when I discovered this Challenge I would complete all 12 tags, but I have.  OK so I still have Christmas cards to make, some Christmas presents and gift bags.  The decorations are not up either, but I shall be starting on those this evening, and frankly the decorations don't normally go up until the weekend before Christmas anyway so they are not really late! 

Right then, enough putting things off, here is Linda's wonderful tag......


Isn't it wonderful with all the gold flourishes on there?  Here is my take on Linda's tag.....

Like Linda I cannot seem to get the light very well to capture the richness of the golds and reds but this is the nearest I could get.  As on most of my tags, I die cut a tag using SU Vanilla cardstock and my TH tag die.  However, I wanted a smaller tag as well as a larger tag.  So I made a thick card tag and drew around it, on SU Vanilla, with a Quilter's Wonder Wheel which adds a quarter inch to the original card die, which I then cut out.  The first tag I had made I trimmed about an inch (I did it by eye so not exact) off the bottom edge and about quarter inch off either side and then trimmed the corners back in.  Once I was happy with the sizes I set to work on the stamping and decorating.  

The larger tag was stamped with TH embossing ink with my favourite TH flourish stamp and embossed with gold embossing powder.  Once cooled I used Fired Brick and Festive Berries Distress Inks to get a red I was happy with, as well as some Snippets of cardstock for the Roses.  Once I was happy with the red I spritzed and flicked with water and then dried them with the heat gun.

The smaller tag was stamped using my Hero Arts Holly stamp, again using embossing ink and gold powder.  I edged both tags with Gathered Twigs DI.  Then I set about making the leaves.  I inked some more Snippets with Pine Needles and Forest Moss DI and dried them with the heat gun. 
I die cut the green leaves and the "Roses" using the TH Pine Cone die.  Using my glue gun I made the Roses.  The gold Ivy leaves were some Christmas decorations I bought yesterday at the local hardware store who were selling off Christmas decorations 2 for 1.  As soon as I saw them I knew they would come in somewhere.  I do tend to pick Ivy things up because I live at Ivy Cottage!  Once the Roses were dried I inked the edges with GT DI and sprayed with Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls mist.
The Noel was actually cut by my friend Mandy when I was at her house a few weeks ago.  Her Vagabond had died so I took my trusty Big Shot so that she could make some diecuts for her to make Christmas cards etc.  I pretended to "steal" one of these die cuts as I do not have this die (another one for my list).  I love the richness of the red glitter cardstock.  Don't worry, Mandy did let me have it and I have been dying to use it on one of these tags.  I have backed the Noel with some more of the lace which I have used on several other tags.  Thanks Di for giving me this at The Crop!

The bottom of the tag was cut using the TH On the Edge Die Ornate.  I cut another with a Snippet of gold glitter card left over from the lamppost I made the other die and layered it below the tag.  I threaded the lace with gold ribbon but knew I wanted some more gold to back the lace, so I used the "negative" of the Ornate cut!  

All that was left was for me to put all the elements together and there was my tag finished!    I showed Hubby and his response was "nothing like going out with a flourish"!  Well it is my final 12 Tags of Christmas for 2012 and this is the first time I have ever completed 12 tags at Christmas.  Thanks so much Linda for running this Challenge and Good Luck to all the peeps who have joined in.  If they have had as much fun as I have making these then Hurrah!  There are some stunning projects entered into this Challenge so why not take a peek!

I am also entering this into the Playground on account of the Snippets as well as Hels' Sunday Stampers as the theme this week is Holly and Ivy.  Great timing as I haven't entered anything with Hels for some time.

I just want to thank you Bloggers for calling by and leaving such kind comments.  I have had a ball with these and I will be ready a little earlier for 2013's 12 Tags of Christmas (hoping Linda will be running it then!).

Hugs

Hettie

8 comments:

Hels Sheridan said...

GORGEOUS... love that flash of red... Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper... Merry Xmas to you and yours x

scrappymo! said...

Oh my! This ine is so festive and glimmery! Love the gold and the red and that NOEL die is a keeper.
It is going on my list!
You have been amazing to finish all these when you had the heat pump problem gong on.
Good for you for finishing them all...I hope you win the grand prize.

I tucked my new DS in a little bin with the Tattered angels mist I bought this year and have never used. I think I am going to pick up one more of the little bins and tilt it sideways and stack my DI in it and then set the stains bin on top! It's all about the storage when you drag in something new!!!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Whoa, this is quite a beauty, Sam! The double gold embossed tags are sensational and that red glittered NOEL is beyond amazing. Love your handmade roses too. I am so delighted you discovered this challenge and stuck with it to cross the finish line. Next year, check back in September to get in on week one and it won't be so much of a crunch at the end :) I had a wonderful time and am so glad you did too. Best of luck on the prize draws tomorrow!

Hugs,
Linda

Di said...

Ha! I knew you'd go out with a bang - this is just FABULOUS Sam - my very favourite tag of all, and I've loved every single one. The lush reds and gold are just so right - hugs, Di xx

Sarn said...

This is my FAVE one. It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL xxxx

Kate Yetter said...

Love the embossing, roses,gold, flourishes! So lovely!

Jules said...

Hi Sam

Absolutely stunning!!!!

I don't think I would be able to give this one away .. .. I love it to pieces.

Lovely rich colours and the gold embossing is gorgeous.

Hope all your Christmas preparations are coming along.

Love Jules xx

Redanne said...

It really is the most gorgeous of tags, love, love the glittery Noel. A true beauty. Love the falling snow on your blog too... Anne x